Sikkim - At a glance
Area : 7,096 km2
Population : 6.08 Lakh (census 2011)
Language(s): Nepali, Bhutia, Lepcha, Limboo, Magar, Rai, Hindi and English
Literacy Rate: 82.2% (2011 census)
International Border : Tibet Autonomous Region of China to the north and northeast, Bhutan to the southeast, the Indian state of West Bengal to the south, Nepal to the west.
Capital : Gangtok
Nearest Airport : Bagdogra
GDP : 16,637 (2014-15; Rupees in Crorers)
Primarily tourism, agriculture, horticulture, forest, mining, industries, power, liquor Industry, aqua culture, livestock
Tourism, agriculture, floriculture, agro-processing, hydroelectric power, tea, large cardamom, minerals, electronics and pharmaceuticalsImportant Resources:
Agriculture crops, fodder and forests. Natural flora and fauna, medicinal plants/herbs/and important shrubs, water resources, livestock resources, hydro-electric potential, tourism, agricultural, horticulture etc.. Minerals like copper, iron, lime, dolomite/limestone, coal, quartzite and talc, silicate & graphite, garnet, mica. Large cardamoms
Export prospects of Sikkim:
- Sikkim is the least populated state and the smallest after Goa. It also enjoys "special" category status with other northeastern states which gives it financial benefits.
- The state follows the North East Industrial Investment Promotion Policy, 2007, which provides incentives for investment in the state. As a result, the region's states get a higher share in resource allocation and excise duty concessions for industry. They also get 90 per cent of plan assistance as a grant and 10 per cent as loan, as against the 30:70 ratio for other states.
- Sikkim has political stability and has adopted sustainable and eco-friendly policies. An able leadership helped implement the policies effectively.
- The state is endowed with natural resources
Large cardamom, orchids, temi tea, ginger, mandarin orange, medicinal plants, honey and handicrafts
Other potential industrial drivers:
- Tuber Crops: Potato,Sweet Potata
- Spices: Large Cardamom, Ginger, Chilli, Turmeric, Coriander
- Fruits: Mandarin, Passion fruit, Banana, Guava, Papaya, Jack fruit, Litchi
- Vegetables: Brocoli, Onion, Brinjal, Carrot, Iskus, Pumpkin, Radish, Tomato, Tree Tomato, Cabbage, Cauliflower
- Ornamental Plants: Anthurium, Cymbidium, Rose