1957 SEPC (Shellac Export Promotion Council) was formed under sponsorship of Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Govt. of India to facilitate India's exports of shellac and lac based products
April 2005 SEPC's role was enhanced as the Nodal EPC for India's Non Timber Forest Produce, to facilitate exports of Veg Saps & Extracts, Guar Gum, Sesame seeds, Herbs, Niger. Seeds, Other Vegetable materials, Fixed Vegetable Oil, Cakes and more.
October 2007 SHEFEXIL was declared as the nodal EPC for the North Eastern Region of India, to facilitate all exports from the states of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Tripura, Mizoram & Sikkim
- Nodal EPC for Non Timber Forest Produce (NTFPs) and their value added variants
- Other Major Product Groups include Guar Gum and Sesame seeds
- 860 Individual Products
- Membership base of 676 active exporters
- A direct contributor to weaker sections of society - tribal women, marginal cultivators, economically challenged population from the North East, arid areas, etc.
- Strengthen plans and initiatives for exports of Non Timber Forest Produces
- Maximize India's export potential through collective action
- Assist the members of the Council to boost exports and discharge their responsibilities and obligations under Foreign Trade Policy
- To realize the full potential of |ndia's Non Timber Forest Produce exports through collective action
- To create a global brand for Indian Non Timber Forest Produces
- To conceptualize plans and initiatives for Exports of Non Timber Forest Produces
- To turn exports of Non Timber Forest Produces as a tool for improving the lives of the poorer section of the population and develop the economically weaker sections of the society
- Boosting employment oriented Non Timber Forest Produce export stand ensuring infrastructure development in rural tribal areas
- To strengthen plans and initiatives for exports of Non Timber Forest Produces.